Frequently Asked Questions

HomeEducationFrequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of the most frequently asked questions with regards to education and becoming a power engineer:


  • How do I become a power engineer? 

In order to be a power engineer you must first complete at an accredited power engineering program. During your studies you will write examinations with the local jurisdictional regulator and after all examinations are complete will obtain a certificate of qualification/competency. Canada has a regulator in all 10 provinces and three territories that certifies individuals. To get a better understanding of how to become a power engineer, read the information provided on the education page.


  • Is a power engineer a professional engineer?

No. A power engineer is not a professional engineer. A power engineer is a technically trained professional responsible for the safe installation, maintenance, alteration and operation of boilers, pressure vessels, and refrigeration systems. A professional engineer uses the title P.Eng and is certified within their jurisdiction to perform design work.


  • Can a person work as a power engineer after graduation?

No. As a graduate of a power engineering program you will obtain either a certificate or a technology diploma. In order to work as a power engineer you must first obtain a Certificate of Qualification or Competency by a regulator to allow you to work in a particular jurisdiction.


  • Do I need calculus, physics and chemistry to be a 4th power engineer?

Although it is not required to be a 4th class power engineer, those wanting to progress to the 2nd and 1st class levels will need to have a strong working knowledge of thermodynamics, physics, applied mechanics and chemistry. Prospective power engineering students are recommended to take courses in high school to better prepare themselves for more advanced concepts. Additionally, admission requirements will vary between institutions. Consult the program guide for the institution your interested in.


  • Is my certificate/license recognized everywhere in Canada?

Yes, a power engineering certificate has Canada wide recognition. In order to work in another jurisdiction however you must apply for a transfer of qualifications through the technical regulator. Each regulator has some variation on the exact process.


Back to top
error: Institute of Power Engineers, Content Protection