Position Summary and Objectives
Reporting to the Property Manager, the Operations Manager oversees and ensures the safe, reliable, and
efficient operation of the buildings at the best possible value, at Place de Ville. This position acts as Chief
Operating Engineer in the operation of the central Steam Plant. In addition, this position assists the Property
Manager, in the review of the operating procedures of the base building systems to ensure maximum efficiency
and in establishing mid to long-term capital expenditure plans to maintain the integrity of the buildings. This
position will directly manage the Technical Supervisor, the Building Systems Control Technician.
- Supervise, through subordinate management team or directly, all functions of the buildings operating
systems, central plants and life/safety systems at Place de Ville.
- Provide technical direction to staff where required and follow up on work to ensure continued reliable,
efficient building operations. Oversee work to ensure safe work practices are used.
- Carry out the duties as Chief Operating Engineer of the Steam Plant to ensure the safe and reliable
operation of the plant. Ensure that the equipment and its maintenance and operation are compliant with
the Operating Engineers, BPV and all other applicable regulations are being met.
- Work co-operatively with in-house staff and contractors in managing repairs, maintenance or project
related work. Coordinate the communication between workers and consultants to ensure the design
standards and specifications for the complex are being upheld.
- Maintain excellent employee relationships at Place de Ville, by meeting with staff and fostering an
enjoyable work environment. Deal co-operatively with any collective agreement concerns that may
arise. Develop and mentor staff as they progress in their roles.
- Maintain excellent tenant relationships by meeting with tenants and investigating and following up where
repeat concerns have been raised. Provide input when reviewing planned work to ensure quiet tenant
enjoyment of their space won’t be affected by the work.
- Responsible for the preparation, tracking and reporting on all related operating and capital budgets at
Place de Ville, in keeping with the annual objectives. Establishing the scope and timing of capital
expenditures relating to HVAC and Electrical systems.
- Review proposed HVAC, electrical and mechanical design changes and provide feedback to
consultants to ensure that owner or tenant projects do not adversely affect the future efficient operation
of the systems and maintain standards.
- Set objectives and perform staff evaluations and monitor in-direct reports’ evaluations, within the
Engineering Group, to ensure that employees are meeting their objectives.
- Prepare, negotiate and administer various contracts for service, labour and materials.
Perform other related responsibilities as requested from time to time
- First Class Operating Engineer preferable and/or post-secondary education or 5 to 7 years of equivalent experience in facilities greater than750,000 square feet
- Experience and knowledge of project management and preventative maintenance concepts.
- Knowledge of engineering concepts related to central heating, cooling, ventilation and base building systems, including computer based DDC systems.
- Knowledge of the T.S.S.A. Act (Operating Engineers & Boiler and Pressure Vessels) and applicable legislation governing our industry;
- Formal training and/or proven-applied experience in energy management and building codes;
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, Yardi);
- Self-motivated, team player, good organizational skills
- Supports teamwork environment with positive and professional attitude
- Open to learning, developing new skills/knowledge
- Focuses on results, anticipates problems, identifies solutions, takes action
- Understands all aspects of job – impact on business goals
- Proactively assesses, responds to workflow deficiency, adheres to CPMIpolicy
- Goes the “extra mile” to understand and respond to customer needs
- Flexibility to changing work conditions including interruptions and multi-tasking ability
- Behaves and makes decisions that support CPMI goals/objectives
- Conducts business consistent with sustainability and ESG
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates integrity in decision making, listening, treatment of others
CPMI is committed to accommodating employees with disabilities throughout their employment with Crown in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation, please let us know.
Click for full .pdf description.