POSITION: Chief Engineer
The Chief Engineer provides leadership and direction to continuously improve the effectiveness of the Power Plant and Building Services (where applicable Waste Water Treatment Plant) operations while supporting the development of control systems and processes required in maintaining a safe operation with environmental integrity.
• Manage the operations of the department by planning, scheduling and following-up on maintenance activities to safely facilitate optimum facility performance. Ensure that all relevant activities are conducted in compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and good business standards.
• Lead, plan and develop the effectiveness of the operations including employee direct reports, technologies and facilities by utilizing the most efficient methods to operate his area of responsibilities.
• Responsible for the daily operation of the Power plant, refrigeration units, facility wide piping systems and fire protection systems by ensuring all equipment is running at optimum levels.
• Participate in continuous improvement initiatives by identifying opportunities for improvement in safety, quality, reliability, cost, and customer service. Reduce equipment failures and preserve asset value. Identify and/or provide input on appropriate technology, equipment and methodology used in the facility, or having an opportunity to improve operating results or costs.
• Manage the Power Plant (where applicable Waste Water Treatment Plant) and lead the Environmental Control program by ensuring all internal policies and external regulations are met.
• Manage the plant utilities efficiently (Electricity, Gas, Water) by monitoring the energy usage against the Plant Kepi’s, as well as the deviations and implementing the corrective actions as required.
• Implement improvement projects in collaboration with the Manager of Engineering and Maintenance by collecting information, documenting, presenting, executing and monitoring the process.
• Provide leadership and supervision to staff by hiring, reviewing performance and providing feedback, determining training and development needs, and providing coaching and work direction. Promote a team focus on excellence in all activities including those required to support safety, operational productivity, quality, loss reduction, people development, and cost improvement.
• Ensure safety of all employees, visitors and contractors within the areas of responsibilities by providing appropriate safety training and awareness.
• Ensure that all legislative requirements and environmental standards are met and results reported to appropriate parties (internal & external).
• Maintain inventory of maintenance items (and parts) by planning requirements and purchasing.
• Manage the Quality Program for ‘Piping and Pressure vessels repair and alteration’. Perform audit and
• document repairs, report to TSSA, approve new methods and materials.
• Certified First Class Stationary Engineer (Province of Role: Ontario, Alberta, etc.)
• Minimum five (5) years related experience in a dairy or food processing or manufacturing environment including Power and Waste Water Treatment Plant operations.
• Leadership experience including the supervision of Second Class Stationary Engineers and Power Plant Operations
• Experience with Class III extended Dairy Industry Waste Water treatment
• Experience with Environmental Control systems and processes including the meeting of all legislated requirements
• Experience and knowledge of legislative requirements relative to Power Plant Operations and Cooling Systems – Ammonia Refrigeration units
• Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
• Proficient with computer technology including PCs, database and management systems
• Leadership, planning and execution skills including strong communication and organizational skills
• Commitment to a team-based organization
Why Join Us?
• We are the #1 diary group in the world
• We are one of the largest, most dynamic food group companies in Canada
• Contribution to your pension begins right away
• Benefits begin right away
• Onsight cheese store
• Free parking
• Educational allowance
• Strong work culture
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.