Job Posting – Internal/External
Based in Stratford, Ontario, the Stratford Festival is one of the world’s foremost repertory theatre companies. It operates year round, presenting a season of about a dozen plays each year between the months of April and November, a rich stream of digital content and hundreds of Forum events, designed to deepen understanding of the plays. For every person a theatregoer sees on our stages, we have seven people working behind the scenes, some of the world’s most dedicated and experienced arts workers. At this time we are undergoing a culture shift to support anti-racism and anti-oppression in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, production, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors. Members of equity deserving groups are always encouraged to apply.
If you would like to be part of this change and contribute your own remarkable talents to North America’s largest not-for-profit theatre, we’d like to hear from you. We are currently welcoming applications for:
This position reports to the Facilities Manager, the Chief Engineer or designate and is part of the Facilities team.
· Operate, maintain, inspect and repair high/low pressure steam or high temperature water boilers
· Operate and maintain HVAC equipment
· Monitor plant equipment to assure optimum efficiency and to prevent or reduce downtime and maintenance costs. Test and control boiler water, condensate, cooling tower water and add corrective chemicals as required. Includes cooling towers, pumps, motors and related equipment
· Perform routine as well as unscheduled maintenance on physical plant equipment. Determine causes of failure / problems and take appropriate corrective action
· Perform preventative maintenance and filter changes according to established schedules and operational requests and guidelines
· Operate and respond to fire panel and fire system needs
· Operate and maintain U.P.S. and Emergency Power back-up systems. Includes Diesel Generators (shared equipment with Electrician)
· Perform and assist with minor electrical repairs and installation. Example: light fixtures, ballasts, switches, motors, etc.
· Perform Repairs/maintenance/replacement to facilities operational equipment
· Operate and repair company waste treatment equipment. Perform basic plumbing / repairs and installations. Maintain and repair sanitary/wastewater/storm drain systems
· Monitor external contractors when inspecting or repairing equipment
· Keep logs of plant operations and records maintenance and repair work performed. Document all necessary information
· Perform emergency repairs as required to base building and operational functions and equipment
· Other duties as assigned
· Minimum 4th Class Stationary Engineer Certificate
· Experience with Microsoft Office
· Experience with building automated system programming
· Working knowledge of fire alarm systems
· Valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract
· Areas of work include boiler room, mechanical rooms, chiller rooms, cooling towers.
High frequency noise factors and high and low temperatures working areas.
· Working in tight and restricted spaces to access mechanical and h.v.a.c system equipment.
· Working at heights. This includes on ladders, elevated work platforms, roofs, etc.
· Work in areas of public access and restricted staff areas to respond to operational requirements.
· Reporting to multi-site locations as operated by Stratford Festival.
· Working in areas alone on shift.
· Heavy lifting, regularly over 50 lbs.
Example, 50 lbs. of water softener salt, motors, pumps, and valves associated with operational systems.
· Use of ladders, elevated working platforms, working at heights.
· Climbing ladders and walking stairs.
This full time unionized position is located in Stratford, Ontario and will begin ASAP. Candidates will be required to work a flexible work schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays as scheduled. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in Siemens Insight Apogee/Desigo and Carrier Iview systems.
Job Type: Full time
The position will be posted until filled.
Hourly Rate: Currently $35.28, plus applicable premiums related to shift work
The Festival is working diligently toward a safe and healthy workplace for everyone. We welcome applicants of every identity, and encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Deaf, disabled and 2SLGBTQ+ folks. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and beyond. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
If you feel you could make a meaningful contribution to the Stratford Festival, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter in a single PDF to:
Human Resources E-mail: email@example.com
Subject: Shift Engineer
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
N5A 6V2 Canada